Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Monday, January 5, 2009

We Are Greater

You belong to God, children, and you have conquered them, for the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 1 John 4:4

I used to wonder what the Bible meant by "the one who is in the world." Well, if I had turned to the Bible and read the beginning of 1 John 4, I would have known that it is the antichrist. And the one who is in us is Jesus!

Jesus is in us if we accept His coming in the flesh, love Him, and live according to Him. And that is greater than any human being who denies His existence. We are stronger than the antichrist with Jesus inside us.

Have you ever had an experience where you felt like someone you encountered had evil in them? Did you ever think that they couldn't possibly have Jesus in their heart because of the things they said or did? Well, that person may not have been the antichrist, but that person may have been a non-believer. Or maybe they were a believer, but hadn't come to know Jesus yet. Did you feel powerless? Did you ask God for His help? Did you ask Him to answer the call of the devil to strike back at your brother with harshness?

I know I have felt that way about other people. And I'm sure that there may have been someone who thought that about me. I'm not perfect. No one is. But when we encounter evil in another, turn to your belief in Him. He is greater than any evil we can ever come across. With Him on our side, we can do anything. Even overcome evil. Even overcome the temptation to be evil to one another. I call on Him frequently during the day in my every day encounters. I come from a long line of tempers and overcoming that without God isn't an option.

Lord, stay with me and guide me to You so that I may resist evil temptations.

No comments: