Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Avoiding God's Will

I spent a long time avoiding God's Will for me. I always, ALWAYS, saw myself as a working mom. I can remember telling a friend of mine (who wanted to date me) that I would NEVER stay home with the kids. I was going to college to get an education so I could be a teacher. And there wasn't anyone that was going to stop me from having my own life and my own career, not even my kids.

I fought Him tooth and nail through this transition. It took me 3 1/2 years for goodness sake!! Once I became closer to Him through love and prayer and Bible study, I realized that the turmoil in my life came from trying to be that independent person from my children. For me, working didn't work. Once I came to terms with being a homemaker, I became a happier person and my home became a home that my husband was happier coming home to, and a home my kids were happier being in. What a blessing.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the women shouldn't work. I'm just writing about a big turning point in my life. Working wasn't making me happy, and it wasn't creating a happy home for my family. That is just my personal story, and it doesn't go for everyone.

So here's what Mother Angelica says about avoiding God's Will:

What is it in your life that makes you run once you begin to feel that God is after you? I'll tell you why you run, because you're afraid He's going to take everything away from you that's dear. There's a beautiful line in a poem by Frances Thompson and it says, "What I took from thee, I took not for thy harm, but only that you would seek it in My arms." Remember that! Don't ever be afraid to follow Jesus, to be a real Christian on fire with what you believe.

Don't ever be afraid to follow Jesus, to be a real Christian on fire with what you believe. LOVE THAT!! I'm becoming less and less fearful. Since I made the choice to give in to Him, follow Jesus, and accept my vocation as a wife and mother, things seem to make more sense. I look at our bank account and realize that we are doing fine without an income from me! We aren't big spenders, so we do just fine!! We have not made bad decisions, and my husband made a very wise decision to buy the house he did, and so we are in a good place financially. So the pressure I was putting on myself to work, was not needed right now. If the time comes, then I'm sure He will show me the way. I must make sure that I listen though, be open to His Will, and not be afraid.


No comments: