Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Soft Hearts

Encourage yourselves daily while it is still "today," so that none of you may grow hardened by the deceit of sin. Hebrews 3:13

There were many years in my life where my heart was hardened to Christ. Well, I'm not so sure that it was hardened, but it definitely wasn't soft. It was a time in my life when I wanted to do what I wanted to do. God's plan did not come first. I spent years fighting for my freedom and doing what I wanted. During that time, I argued with people, I fought with people, I was angry with people, and I gossiped with people. It was not a happy nor peaceful time.

Since I recently softened my heart to our Lord, my life has become more peaceful. I gave in. I gave into His ways. I gave into His Will. It seems so logical now. It feels so much less stressful as soon as I let God take over. Now granted, I'm not perfect (obviously). I'm not saying I don't get angry, or gossip, or get in arguments. But it's different now. My anger does not overcome me and my arguments have a different tone. I have an understanding of the other side and am more likely to let things go. I let it go into His hands.

Lord, help me to continue on Your path by keeping my heart soft and open to you.

No comments: