Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Satisfaction

So what is holiness? Well, in my last post, Mother Angelica told us that it's not perfection. So what IS it?

WHOLLY SATISFIED

Our Lord said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for holiness, they shall be satisfied" (Matt. 5:6). Today what is holiness? Holiness is that image of Jesus in your heart that shines on your face and tells your neighbor that there is more to come, and it's better than this life. It makes you so free that you can laugh at the world and what it has to offer. Others look at you and ask, "What do you have? I want it."

-Mother Angelica, LITTLE BOOK of LIFE LESSONS and EVERYDAY SPIRITUALITY

"Holiness is that image of Jesus in your heart that shines on your face and tells your neighbor that there is more to come, and it's better than this life." I highlighted that in my book. I love that and I read it over and over. It all comes back to the love that we have for Jesus and allowing that love we have for Him to shine through in our lives. How do we do that? By living like He lived, by letting Him do His work through us. If you think of it this way, it really makes me feel free because I really don't have as much control over my life as I thought. And if it's God that has control, then I'm OK with that!

No comments: