Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Saturday, January 3, 2009

God's Will

How do you determine God's Will for you? Tough one huh? I know I have always struggled with that. For instance, when I was looking for a way to work from home, a way to make some extra money for us, I felt frustrated, irritated, and a little angry. I used to ask God to tell me what He wanted me to do. Was I supposed to be working this business? Was I supposed to be home? Should I look for a job? And each time I thought I got an answer, I used to wonder if it was His answer or the devil's. I had a hard time differentiating. It was because the work I was doing was good work and the money was going to help my family. So I couldn't figure out why trying to do the work I was doing would be such a bad thing.

Now I realize that I was putting money ahead of God. I wasn't truly listening to Him and was misreading the signs. When I was irritated and frustrated was when I was trying to make money. I felt like I needed that paycheck to feel important. I was wrong. It has taken a long time for me to realize that it's OK to be a mom and a wife and take care of my family. I realize now that my job IS important, even though I don't get a paycheck.

So the next time we are wondering about God's Will, Mother Angelica tells us to look at 3 things:

1. Does it violate any of the Commandments? Is it against the precepts of the Church?
2. Will it give God honor and glory?
3. Will it benefit my family and my spiritual life?

Now, making the choice to go get a job as a teacher would have followed all of these guidelines for me. The only problem is that it only would have benefited my family monetarily. I look back at when I was working and how miserable I was. Not because I was working, but because I just couldn't do it all. My husband works very long hours, so the majority of the work around here was on my shoulders and I had 2 very young children. It was a mess, and I never stopped looking to work or make money until a few months ago. Since I have come to terms with God's Will for me to stay home, take care of my husband, take care of our children, and take care of our home, my irritability is almost non-existent.

When we know what God's Will is, we will find that peace. It will feel right. This can go for anything. A friend of mine once told me that if it doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't. So look for God's Will using those guidelines. Trust Him. God eventually has His way anyway....

No comments: