Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Monday, January 12, 2009

God is Glorious

All who serve idols are put to shame,
who glory in worthless things;
all gods bow down before you. Psalm 97:7

There were many Scripture passages that I wanted to write about today. But this one really stuck out in my mind. The United States today is at a turning point. We are either turning toward God, or away from Him. And if you're here reading this, I'm assuming you are turning toward Him.

Over the past, I would say, 40 years, we have slowly turned away from God and His commandments and have created our own. And we have slowly turned away from our faith, maybe our Catholic faith, and let our secular society provide false gods for us: money, power, sexual freedom.... In this Psalm, Israel is rejoicing in the overthrowing of idol worshipers and their gods, and reward those that are righteous in their faith to God.

Speaking for myself, I have made that transition from worshiping false Gods to worshiping one god, worshiping THE ONE God. It has been a tough transition. It's hard to change your way of thinking when it has been so ingrained in you for so long. I have thought back to my childhood lately and remembered that we did not have cable until I was in high school. I think that's when I started seeing my life the way society wanted me to. I was subjected to sexualized television through MTV and VH1 and then our television shows changed. Very slowly we have adopted swearing, and even the use of damning God, into our publicized television shows.

It's like that saying goes: If you drop a frog into a boiling pot of water, he will jump out. If you put him in cold water and slowly boil it, he won't jump out because he won't know it's being boiled to death.

That's what has happened to us. Our souls have been boiled, almost to death. I say almost because God is all powerful and forever loving. If we turn to Him and deny our false gods in our hearts, He will forgive us and guide us along His path.

Dear Lord, help me to deny my unrighteous path and live my life according to You.

No comments: