Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Warrior Soul

Father Frank Pavone is highly active in the pro-life movement to END abortion and is the National Director of Priests for Life. He wrote this book titled, Ending Abortion, Not Just Fighting It. It is a compilation of essays he has written from his pro-life experiences. I just cracked it open, read 2 pages, and had to share. He begins by talking about "The Warrior Soul."

I'm sure that some of you have felt very strongly about something that you either wanted to change or wanted to stay the same. And you probably wanted to DO something about it, right? Then, time goes by and maybe it doesn't seem as important as it used to and we begin to let other things in our lives become more important. We begin to lose hope for our cause and kind of "give up."

Well, we could do that, or we could develop the
WARRIOR SOUL:
While this is not 'fanaticism,' it is total dedication, to the point of being willing to give one's life in the cause. 'Fanaticism' means that, except for the one focus we have, our personality shuts down and we disconnect from reality. The 'warrior soul,' on the other hand, devotes all of his fully functioning personality to his cause, and it is precisely because he is connected to reality that he sees that cause as all-important.

Social change doesn't come through committees and boards. It comes through warrior souls. It's something like what Scripture tells us: 'The way we came to know love was that he laid down his life for us; so we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers' (1 Jn 3:16).

I have to admit that I have been in the mode of the one who has let other things get in my sight of ending abortion. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have given up, but I feel that my passion has slowly dwindled. I felt compelled to pick up this book today and I'm so glad that I did. It was a great way to start the New Year. To ask God to work through me to end abortion. To guide me down the path of righteousness. To recommit myself to the pro-life movement. To try to become a "warrior soul" for the unborn babies that can't protect themselves. They need us now more than ever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said. I'll have to check out the book, I hadn't heard about it!

Karen said...

Yes, I just started reading it and it's great so far! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I'm going to post quite a bit about it, so you can join me in reading it if you like!