Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

God's Love

So do you believe that God loves you? Do you believe that He loves you ALL the time? Even in those trying times in your life where you can't believe He would let that happen to you? Your parents get divorced. A loved one dies unexpectedly. Your child commits a mortal sin.

These are all things where we could say, where are you God? How could you let this happen? Well, Mother Angelica says, "God loves me so much that He provides for my every need. God's providence disposes and directs everything for His honor and glory, and for the good of my soul." It's so hard when we live in the Present Moment to see His good intentions right away. I can tell you that when my parents were going through their divorce, it didn't seem like He was there. How could He let them throw away 38 years of marriage and rip apart our family? What sense does that make?

Well, it pays to ask questions. Through their divorce, I found myself getting closer and closer to Him because I needed guidance from somewhere, and I didn't feel that I could get it from my parents at that point and time. As most married couples do, my husband and I fought quite a bit. I mean, we have 3 kids... who doesn't??!! And I can't tell you that divorce didn't cross my mind. After all, wasn't it better for them to see their parents happy than together and fighting all the time? Well, it's good for them to see us happy, but together and happy. And I guess it took my parents getting their divorce for me to see how important it is to stay together. The closer I came to God, the more I realized how much I love and adore my husband. The closer I came to God, the more I realized what I needed to do to make our life better together.

I think we all know that good can come out of the bad, but sometimes it takes a while for that insight to happen. And that's OK. It's God' Will and Providence. Mother also tells us that if it's meant to be, then the Lord will clear the path. If it's not, then He will make it difficult to get there. "Nothing happens to you without the stamp of His providence placed upon it before it happens. That's faith."

So have faith. Things may seem bad, but they wouldn't be happening if He didn't let it.

No comments: