Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Thursday, January 22, 2009

March for Life

I can't believe that I haven't posted about the March for Life today. What a dork. I guess I was distracted. Anyway, it's funny how these things happen, or as a friend of mine says "Christidental" (get it?). I picked up my book by Father Pavone with a quick free second I had before the kiddoes went to bed. I had marked a bunch of pages to post about and lo and behold, I marked the March for Life.

The March for Life, as I'm sure many of you already know, takes place in D.C. It is actually taking place right now, as we speak. Faith and Family Live! is showing EWTN today on their site, where of course, they are viewing the march. It is a time of a peaceful presentation of our First Amendment rights to our freedom of speech. Friends meet, prayers are said, hymns are sung.... The day ends with the Rose Dinner which is meant to honor those who participate in the Pro-Life Movement.

So, Father Frank gives us four insights into what this important event accomplishes:

1. It gives voice to the children. Obviously the unborn do not have a voice. They cannot speak up loud enough to cry out for its life. It's important that we become more heard all the time, not silent.

I would like to reference the old Horton Hears a Who movie. It amazes me the pro-life message that is prevalent in that movie. I haven't seen the new one so I don't know how close it is. But in the old video, the "Who's" to me are the unborn babies that are screaming, but no one can hear. And throughout this video, Horton continuously says "A person's a person, no matter how small." So true. So true.

2. It gives encouragement to our friends in government. Can you imagine what it must be like to be a pro-life Senator right now? I bet they might feel a little alone, a little beat in this arena. This march gives them hope. It tells them that their efforts and voice in Congress does not go unheard. They need to continue to do their job, and we should continue to do ours.

3. It encourages us. Just like those in Congress, I'm sure there are those regular folks on the ground that get discouraged. We always run into ignorance. We run into those that are unwilling to listen to the truth, or just choose not to. It can be very frustrating. This march gives them hope too. They see that there are many others who are supporting their ever-important, life-saving efforts.

4. It trains young leaders. Father Frank says that he got his inspiration from this march when he was in high school. Imagine seeing these people, so devoted to their beliefs and so motivated to save human life. How inspiring that must be to others. To others who are open to hear it anyway. If God has opened one's heart to hearing the truth, this march could change their life forever. And maybe other lives too.

So, tune in to EWTN. Try to watch a little bit of this march. It obviously plays several different roles in the pro-life movement. Maybe it will move you to do something differently too. Become a Warrior Soul.

No comments: