Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Large Love

Everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God... for God is love. 1 John 4:7-8

God is love... God is love. Of course He is!! We wouldn't be here if that weren't true. He loves us so much that He sent His only son to save us from eternal death. He loves us so much, that His only son died for us so that we may have eternal life with Him in heaven.

How do we know He loves us, besides the fact that He sent Jesus for us? Look around you! Look at all the magnificent things He has made! The sky, the rivers, the oceans, the many beautiful different kinds of animals and people!

I look at my life. How blessed I am to be where I am. How blessed I am to have the husband I have. How blessed I am to have 3 beautiful, healthy children. I am blessed! Yes, there are bad things that happen in my life, no doubt. But it's important to see the love He has for us in the good things that happen. Because Mother Angelica tells us that even in the presence of evil, He is with us. He is always with us, we just have to call upon Him for His help.

So we know God loves us, but what about our love for Him? Are we doing what He says we should do? Are we reaching out to each other to help? Are we treating others the way Jesus treated us? Are we obeying all of His commandments? That's how we can show our love for him: through our love for each other. We love our family and our friends, but what about those that we don't know? What about those that have wronged us at some point in our life? Can you still love them? Can you still see Jesus in them?

Lord, please keep my heart open to your love so that I may show my love for you through others.

No comments: