Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Monday, January 12, 2009

PRAY!

The next section of Mother Angelica's book deals in prayer. I think this is something that we significantly lack as a whole as Christians. Some of us are afraid to pray because we're not sure if we're doing it right. Others of us pray for something to go our way, and then get upset when it doesn't come out the way we want it to.

Well, I'm just going to share a couple of quotes from the beginning of the chapter today, and continue to share thoughts and quotes throughout the week.

Prayer creates a disposition of assurance- not that you're going to get every answer that you want- but assurance of God's presence and His love.

God is always here. If you want to be able to count on someone all the time, God is your man. Have you ever had something that you want to talk about so badly that you feel like you're going to explode? And you call your best friend, wife, husband, sister, brother, mother, father, daughter, son and they weren't there? I have! So who do you talk to? GOD! "A lot of people today pray, but they never talk to God." Mother tells us that we don't have to wait for that magnificent thing to happen, but "talk to Him about everyday things right now."

The closer that I become to Him, the more I find myself talking to Him. In my van, making breakfast, doing chores around the house.... He's becoming more like a best friend. I can talk to God about ANYTHING. And why not? He knows everything anyway! I ask Him questions, I ask for help, I give Him thanks. I do that many times throughout the day. It keeps Him in my mind and in my heart. And the more I do it, the more I don't even realize I do it because it's such a big part of my life.

No comments: