Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Speaking with Truth

We must consider how to rouse one another to love and good works. We should not stay away from our assembly, as is the custom of some, but encourage one another, and this is all the more as you see the day drawing near. Hebrews 10:24-25

Have you ever been in a conversation with someone who is telling you about a problem they are having and you want to talk about God with them, but you're afraid? You want to tell them to pray. You want to tell them to talk to God about it. You want to tell them to listen to His whispers and follow His ways. You want to tell them that He loves them if they only ask Him for His forgiveness.

I have. Why don't we? For me it's fear. It's fear that this other person won't take me seriously. It's fear about how this other person will think of me because I'm speaking of God. That's sad, isn't it? It's sad that we have this fear now of talking about God. There are so many wonderful things that have happened in my life since I let Him take control. And I want to shout it to the world! But I'm afraid.

Well, that fear will get in the way of our family and friends hearing the truth. I try to remind myself of that all the time. It will get in the way of them having a closer relationship to God. Our friends and our family deserves the best of us. The best of us is the love we have for God. Let it shine through! Show them how wonderful it is. Make them want what you have!

"Anyone who has ears to hear ought to hear." (Mark 4:23)

So who are you going to talk to today?

Lord, give me the strength and courage to speak of you with truth and act with your light inside my heart.

No comments: