Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pray for Little Things

How often do we pray for the little things? It's hard to remember to do that because we don't appreciate those little things as much as the big. Well, for me it's that I have to make a conscious effort to remember those little things to pray for.

I think that we also tend not to appreciate those little things that we do for each other, especially our spouses. There are things my husband does that I appreciate, that are little, but I don't say anything. But because he does those little things, like get wood in, fill our heater, come home every night, coach baseball, I know that he loves us. And I try to do little things for him in return. The same can be true of our kids too can't it? I can't even count how many times my kids do little things that are good and sometimes they go unnoticed. I know in my head that that was a nice thing that they did, but I don't vocalize it all the time. But boy, when I vocalize it, it's AMAZING how they react! They are just so proud of themselves.

My point is, is that those little things really add up. And whether we consciously know it or not, those little things are the things that we truly appreciate. So Mother Angelica wants us to ask God for those little things too. Because that's one of the many ways we can show Him that we love Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, I agree.. I need to remember that the babysteps are the most important things to be grateful for. This week my teenager asked for help... He doesn't do this very often. So I thanked God for this.