Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Silence for God

This is something that is a little hard for me to explain. At first, I thought Mother Angelica wanted me to turn off my t.v., my radio, quiet my kids, maybe go to a quiet room, so I could concentrate on God in silence. But I don't think that's what she means.

She says that our "...powers of concentration are so diverted that [we] cannot concentrate on God." So what I'm thinking is that we should be in a sort of meditative state. We should erase our worries from our minds. Take away thoughts that divert our thinking from God. "[We] have to feel that silent place in the depths of [our] soul, in that place where [we]can always concentrate on God."

This meditative state keeps out influences that are not God's. She tells us that this place we go is somewhere we have control of. No one can come in unless they are invited. So if we don't invite the devil, he cannot come in. So I'm thinking this silent place must be a place of peace where we are always in tune with God and what He wants so that we can stay on the right path.

If this sounds right, let me know!! If you have something else to share, please do that too! This was a tough one!

No comments: