Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Monday, January 26, 2009

Paying it Forward

I recall your sincere faith that first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and that I am confident lives also in you. 2 Timothy 1:5

As you can see, this second letter to Timothy is quite personal. The use of names here can tell you that. This passage tells us also that faith was rich in Timothy's family life. He was surrounded with love of the faith in Jesus.

I was not raised that way, and here I am, trying my best to be an active, practicing Catholic. Who knew? I think that the elders in our families are of great influence to us and how we live and end up to be. Whether we end up like them or not, they influence us in one way or the other. We watch them and how they treat others. We watch them work through conflicts, or not. We watch them and the things they like to do with their spare time. All of that contributes to us as a person.

In my case, faith was not passed on by way of Catholicism. But I do hope that I can pass on my love for our Lord and my faith to my children and their children's children.

Lord, help me to keep you in my mind, my heart, my actions, and my lips so I may pass on Your love to future generations.

No comments: