Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Epiphany

Well, I went to Mass this morning instead of yesterday afternoon... AGAIN. And it was a wonderful service. Father is in Jerusalem right now, so we had a substitute. I don't know what his name was, but he was GREAT! I learned about the Epiphany (I never knew what it was before I looked it up online this morning before I went to Church). Apparently, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it's when we celebrate the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. I hope I spelled everything right too!! And now I know what these things are!!

Gold, well, we all know what that is. And that was brought because He was born as our King.

Frankincense and myrrh are like a sap, a very expensive sap, from Arabia that is used, or used to be used. One of them was used as an embalming fluid and now I can't remember which one. And this was brought because He was the only human being who was born that was born to die. The burning of the sap indicates our prayers going up to Him.

This is the best I have right now on this. If anyone would like to add, please do!!

The other thing that I thought was cool was that we were given paper bags to fill up with food and bring to Mass next Sunday as our gifts. Isn't that a fabulous idea? If your parish did not do this, you may want to anyway as your gift to the Lord. Gifts to His children are gifts to Him.

No comments: