Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Monday, June 29, 2009

To the Finish Line

St. Peter, First Pope

I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7

We were all playing the Wii last night as a family, as much as possible anyway. My husband was playing with our two oldest. Whoever was the "loser," the one who was already not playing would take his/her spot and play the winner. You know how that is done. I'm all for a little healthy competition, but sometimes it can be a little too much. Sometimes they can get into name-calling and considering each other a "loser."

So I was thinking about this this morning in relation to the above Scripture. In the life we are living, I suppose there are losers and winners. The losers go to Hell, and the winners go to Heaven. Right? I mean, when you speak figuratively, that's what happens. But when we meet our Lord, we are not competing with each other. When we stand before God on our Judgment Day, He does not compare us to anyone else. He is looking at each of us as individuals. How did I live my life according to Him? Did I live up to His expectations? Did I do as He commanded?

We cannot compare ourselves to each other to determine a loser and a winner when it comes to the Kingdom of Heaven. We must compete with the devil and make it to the finish line with our faith in tact. We must make sure that we, as individuals, have done our best to follow the laws God has set forth.

Lord, thank you for the faith You have given me. Please stay with me as I continue to compete with the devil's temptations and follow Your will.

Daily Readings:
Acts 12:1-11 Psalms 34:2-9 2 Timothy 4:6-8, 17-18 Matthew 16:13-19

No comments: