Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Doing What Is Right

St. William of Vercelli

Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. Matthew 7:21

I was online yesterday looking at the blogs I follow and a title caught my eye, Episcopal Priest: God Rejoices in Abortion. So of course I had to click on it and find out what in the world that was all about. I was simply appalled as I read that blog post. Rev. Nina Churchman is an Episcopalian Priest in Denver, Colorado who believes that "women shouldn't have to ask for forgiveness for aborting a child." She wrote a letter to Episcopal Life Online stating that "God, unlike what the liturgy states, also rejoices that women facing unplanned pregnancies have the freedom to carefully choose the best option- birth, adoption or abortion- for themselves and their families."

I will let you soak that one in for a minute. I don't think I have to go into detail about how wrong this is. My point in raising awareness of this is that there are many false prophets out there, and they don't have to take the form of a priest or pastor. Satan likes to disguise himself with just enough good and just enough truth, to make his lies and deceit look like the truth. Satan whispers things like, "It's OK, you don't have to go to Church today, God understands you need your sleep." He whispers, "It's OK, God will understand..., It's OK, God will understand..., It's OK God will understand...."

God will NOT understand. It is clear, here in this Scripture from today, that God expects us to follow His rules or we will not enter into His kingdom. We do not get to pick and choose what we want to follow and what we don't. That's not how this works. He is clear about how we are to live and we must be aware of people like Rev. Churchman, that whispers, "It's OK, God will understand."

Lord, answer the door when the devil comes knocking. I want to live in Your goodness and do Your Will.

Daily Readings:
Genesis 16:12, 15-16 Psalms 106:1-5 Matthew 7:21-29

No comments: