Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Narrow Gate

St. Joseph Cafasso

How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few. Matthew 7:14

Wow, what a wake-up call this was this morning. When I stand in Church and think of my venial sins that I committed the previous week, I know they are not as big as mortal sins, but I can't help but think that an over accumulation of my venial sins weighs heavy on my soul. Every act against the Lord affects my chances of getting into Heaven.

I then begin comparing my behavior to others who may not yell at their kids as much as me, think bad thoughts about other people, judge others, do more volunteer time than I.... I compare myself to these people and think they are better at being good than I am and will surely get to Heaven.

But I also know that we all have our own struggles with the Commandments. We all have areas of our lives that we would like to improve to better our relationship with God. So I will keep making improvements in my life to hopefully gain a spot on that narrow road to life, and avoid the easier and more accessible "broad road that leads to destruction" (Matthew 7:13).

Lord, please send my Guardian Angel to help guide me to a life with You.

Daily Readings:
Genesis 13:2, 5-18 Psalm 15:2-5 Matthew 7:6, 12-14

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Every act against the Lord affects my chances of getting into Heaven."

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9 NASB)