Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Giving Big

St. Emily de Vialar

You are being enriched in every way for all generosity, which through us produces thanksgiving to God... 2 Corinthians 9:11

I must admit that it is here that I really don't feel like I do enough. I wish I had more time to volunteer. Or maybe I should make more time. I have three children that I stay home with so in order to volunteer I would either need to bring them with me or find someone to watch them. Which is a possibility, both options. I want them to be involved in their community and want to do for others. It feels good to give, not only money, but to contribute your time and see the difference it makes first-hand.

In Matthew 6:2 we are told, When you give alms, do no blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. I read this and I thought about Oprah's Big Give that was on television not too long ago. Watching these people spend their time, and their money, helping other people was inspiring. And I don't think it was about tooting anyone's horn, but I think it was meant to inspire. Now granted I'm not a big Oprah fan, but I really did enjoy this show.

God sees what we do. He knows our every thought and our every intention. If we could make just a little bit of an effort to help each other, our harvest of righteousness will increase (2 Corinthians 9:10).

So how can we squeeze some time into our busy schedules to make more of a difference in others' lives?

Daily Readings:

2 Corinthians 9:6-11 Psalm 112:1-4, 9 Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

No comments: