Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Prayerful Life

St. Gregory Barbarigo

In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words. do now be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. Matthew 6:7-8

I was talking to my brother a few months back about religion and God and the whole bit. He said he has wanted to learn more about our faith for a long time, but just hasn't yet. Then prayer came up. He said that he didn't pray because he didn't know how to. I used to think the same way. So I proceeded to share that with him and tell him that praying is really about having a conversation with God. It's really just about talking to Him. I don't always get down on my knees to pray. I talk to God all the time while I'm doing the dishes, reading or playing games with the kids, while I'm spending time with my family, doing the laundry... you get the point. God is always on my mind. He is always there guiding me in my thoughts and in my actions.

But here, in Matthew, we are told not to babble. Jesus gives us the Lord's Prayer and it is very simple and concise. It keeps us pointed in the right direction, and doesn't go on and on and on about whatever might be going on in our lives. God knows everything. He knows what's in our hearts. So why ask Him for anything in prayer you might ask? Well, Mother Angelica puts it this way: "Don't you want somebody you love to ask for something? So often surprise gifts are not what the other person really wants. You learn that at Christmas. How many men get umpteen neckties at Christmas because you don't know what else to give them? The immediacy with which something is given (or sometimes refused) is always indicative of the love of the beloved-which means that God Who is Father wants to act like a father. He just doesn't want to pour stuff into your lap. The asking is so you can appreciate His generosity. What the Lord is saying here is don't worry about the things you need. But He still wants you to ask and He wants to fulfill your needs." (Private and Pithy Lessons from the Scriptures)

Is there something you have been wanting to ask God for? Is there something you want to talk to Him about?

Daily Readings:
2 Corinthians 11:1-11 Psalm 111:1-4, 7-8 Matthew 6:7-15

No comments: