Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Friday, July 24, 2009

A Renewal of Spirit

St. John Boste

The law of the LORD is perfect,
refreshing the soul. Psalms 19:8

I recently had this period of time when I missed Church, two weekends in a row. We went on vacation and I did not make the effort to get to Church that Sunday. We got back on a Saturday and again, I did not go to Church the next morning. I was feeling badly about that. I made sure I got to confession and all, and went to Church the following Sunday. I never thought I would say this, but it felt good to be back in Church!

When I go to Church, I get to participate in the Eucharist. When I go to Church, I hear God's Word and am able to experience it through Mass. I listen to the Scriptures being read and pray with my fellow Catholics. I listen to my pastor's homily and reflect on that so I can hopefully get closer to the holiness I desire. He explains to me God's law. He refreshes my mind and my spirit with His Word that will enable me to go out into the world and evangelize.

I received Communion that Sunday with a clear mind and a resolve to make sure I don't miss Church again. It felt like a big weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I was renewed with His Word and His Grace and was ready to face the world. Without His help, following the Commandments can be more of a challenge.

Lord, I know Your law is the only law to follow. Help me to follow it with all my heart.

Daily Readings:
Exodus 20:1-17 Psalms 19:8-11 Matthew 13:18-23

No comments: