Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Are You There?

St. Mary Magdelene

Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned to Him and said in Hebrew, "Rabbouni," which means Teacher. John 20:16

Sometimes when my kids are fooling around and playing together, I get highly irritated. Yes, the hormones kick in and I don't find their antics very funny. I become a stiff, rather strict, mommy. I try to tell them to stop, and am just not amused by their funny faces and noises and laughs. I'm in a mood.

Then I think about all the parents out there who don't get to see their child's funny faces, hear their silly noises, or listen to their unending laughter, even when I have repeatedly told them to stop. And I start to feel guilty. Because of my mood, I have failed to recognize Jesus in my children. I failed to recognize Him in those annoying noises that they make, the goofy expressions they are competing with, and their beautiful, happy laughter. I let my mood get in the way of seeing Jesus in those moments.

I'm sure there are many other moments where I'm looking for Jesus and He's right under my nose. He's there in everything I do, everything my kids do, and everything my husband does.

Lord, thank you for helping me to recognize my errors and finding you in my life when I don't even know it.

Daily Readings:
Exodus 16:1-5, 9-15 Psalm 78:18-19, 23-28 John 20:1-2, 11-18

No comments: