Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Friday, July 17, 2009

Majority Rules?

Carmelite Nuns of Compiegne

If you knew what this mean, "I desire mercy, not sacrifice," you would not have condemned these innocent men. Matthew 12:7

Thank goodness, right?! Thank goodness our Lord is merciful. Thank goodness we have confession to go to and confess all of our sins and be forgiven by a merciful Lord. Although I have to admit that sometimes I feel that my penance is not enough for the sins I have committed. Sometimes I feel like there should be something more that I should have to endure, or suffer. But He is merciful!

Because our God is merciful, He expects us to be merciful towards each other. Our earthly, human views are nothing in God's world. What we think is right and wrong here on earth may not be what God had in mind.

I came across an article the other day sent to me by a friend. It's subtitle is Why Barack Obama represents American Catholics better than the Pope does. At first, I thought it was going to be a sarcastic article by a Catholic. I was wrong. This article was written by none other than liberal Democrat, Kathleen Kennedy Townsend. She points out several percentages of Catholics who agree with Obama on several important issues, and is suggesting that the Catholic Church needs to open their eyes to what the majority is saying and change the Church's ways! Can you believe that?!

This article is wrong on so many levels, but I'm going to try to stick to Scripture today. The Pharisees had rules that Jesus "broke" and consequently, they thought he was a fake. Jesus points out that it is not our rules that we should be following, for He has supreme authority over the law. The Pharisees were human. Americans are human. Just because we say it is OK to have an abortion, does not make it so in the eyes of God. Just because most Catholics say it is OK to use birth control, does not make it so in the eyes of God. Just because most Catholics say it is OK to have sex before we get married, does not make it so in the eyes of God. Majority doesn't rule in God's Kingdom. Who says these things are OK? Humans? HAH! Who are we to make those rules? God created us and gave us everything we have. And the day is coming where He can take it all away.

God doesn't follow us. He did not create a democracy. He doesn't take a poll and change His rules to accomodate us. It's when we let our own selfish, human wants and needs get in the way, that we get in trouble. And then we take it upon ourselves to condemn those that follow God, just because they are the minority in following Him in every way. In God's Kingdom, we are far from the minority.

Lord, please help me to see You in everything I do and be merciful to all the way you are.

Daily Readings:
Exodus 11:10-12:14 Psalms 116:12-13, 15-18 Matthew 12:1-8

2 comments:

SaChay said...

I was just talking to my aunt about something similar yesterday. We were talking about how society says everything is okay, that its just a matter of choice. So now people today have no shame and don't even think their doing wrong. How sad.....

Karen said...

You are right on. People don't think they are doing anything wrong because they find faith that tells them it's OK, God will understand. That is false. He will NOT understand when we put our own selfish needs ahead of His wants and visions for ourselves, His creatures He created. We have become selfish. And we have changed into a culture that doesn't like to tell children and others that they are doing something wrong. Why not?! It's wrong isn't it?? I most definitely tell my children if they have done something wrong. My oldest has even started asking me if God approves of this, if God approves of that. Some I can't answer, some I can. The important thing is that she is putting God FIRST!! Even ahead of ME!! Isn't that FANTASIC?! She's not asking if I approve, but if GOD does! I LOVE IT! Because some day, I won't be here for her and my other children, and they are going to need guidance. God is the best place to go.

God has slowly been taken out of the equation and we are on a downward spiral. It's everywhere. The United States has really taken a turn for the worse here though. And there are many that are happy. I have even heard of people saying, well if it means I go to hell, then so be it. It's worth it so I can be happy. That's the selfish attitude that's out there. That just tells me that they don't really think they will go to hell. They're wrong. God is understanding and merciful, but only if you have an undying love in your heart for Him. I CERTAINLY don't want to go to hell! I'm scared, very scared, of that outcome. But even more than that, I love my God. I love Him enough to want to follow Him, not just because I'm afraid of what might happen if I don't. Offending Him scares me and upsets me more than the thought of hell.

Wow, I think I've written enough!! There is just so much to say on this topic! Thanks for your comment SaChay!