Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Life of Discipleship

St. Bridget of Sweden

Amen, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it. Matthew 13:17

I think sometimes of how amazing it would have been to be one of Jesus' disciples. To be one of those chosen to carry on His teachings would be, well, awesome. What would it take to live up to that kind of discipleship? Complete trust. Complete faith. A complete openness in my heart to Him and all of His works and teachings. I think I have a long way to go.

I do try to be open to everything, but it's not easy. It's not easy in the society we have created. We live in a world where telling someone the truth about our faith can be seen as judgmental. We live in a world where we are supposed to be "understanding" about everything, including homosexuality. Being understanding of someone's lifestyle does not mean I have to agree with it, nor does it mean I have to teach my children it's right just so they can feel better about themselves.

Having complete faith and complete trust in God is a good starting point for becoming holy. We must also have the courage to evangelize the truths God has set forth for His children. That is a big job. I would venture to say that is probably the biggest job anyone could ever have, and it doesn't pay a thing, at least monetarily. Just think of how it pays off in Heaven, in our Father's eyes.

God, I strive to have complete faith and trust in You, both in my mind and in my heart. Send the holy spirit to be with me and with all so we may spread Your truth, just as Your disciples did.

Daily Readings:
Exodus 19:1-2, 9-11, 16-20 Daniel 3:52-56 Matthew 13:10-17

No comments: