Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Absolute Freedom

The thing that confuses us so much is that we are constantly thinking about ourselves. What am I going to do for the world? What am I going to do for my neighbor? You’ve got the wrong question.

The question is: What is God going to do through you? That’s the question: How much are you going to let Him do? When you begin to ask the right questions you will get the right answers. You are nothing; and until you come to that realization, you will stumble and crawl through all of life. There is absolute freedom in the thought that you are nothing. only then are you free to be used by God for His ends, the ends for which you have been created.

-Mother Angelica

Oh my goodness!! I had never thought about it that way before. I’m NOTHING!! It’s true and it IS kind of freeing to think of myself that way. Boy does it take the pressure off!

We are very self-centered people and it’s very difficult to change that and look beyond ourselves to God and figure out how He wants to use us. Now I don’t know about you, but I have been asking myself the WRONG question. After I read this little passage, I kept reading (it’s so addicting), but I kept thinking about this one particular passage. What DOES He want to do through me?

Well, I was on the phone last night with, well, I will call her a friend of mine, and we were talking a lot about our faith and not being afraid to “come out of the closet.” It’s so hard. Religion is seen so differently these days. Anyway, we discussed doing a book club. And I have been contemplating it for a long time, and throwing the idea out. So I didn’t think much more about it, just that maybe I will do it some day…. THEN I opened up my email this morning and saw Melanie’s comment about being interested in a Book Club and I thought, “OK, is this what he wants to work through me? A Book Club?” Maybe, I don’t know. But it can’t hurt to do it and see what comes out of it, right? He speaks to us, but we just have to listen very carefully!!

Lord, keep my ears and heart open to Your Word, so that you can work your goodness through me.

No comments: