Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year

Good morning!!

Well, the New Year is almost here and I suppose we're all wondering what we're going to have as resolutions. It's so hard. There are so many things that we want to "change" aren't there? And we make the resolution, work on it for a few weeks, and then we're back to our normal routines and we never achieve our goal. Happens to me ALL THE TIME!!

So I would like to make a suggestion if I could. I went to Mother Angelica's book and continued to read a few tidbits. And do you know what it was about? Love. Love for God. Love for Jesus. Love for the people around us. How about THAT for a resolution? Is that something worth sticking to? Creating a deeper love for God? She quotes Scripture and explains that we all need to strive for that. And what better way to show that love than through our children?

THAT KID OF MINE

The greatest evils today are fear and lukewarmness. Jesus said, "I wish you were hot or cold, but you are lukewarm and I will vomit you from my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16). We have a fantastic amount of lukewarmness in the world today, because we don't see Jesus in the Present Moment. Every moment you are meeting Jesus face to face.

Some woman told me the other day, "Are you telling me that mean kid of mine is Jesus?" Yes, hidden in that kid is Jesus. It is your duty to bring Him out with love, patience, and compassion.

Pretty cool huh? Our children are a pretty good place to start. If we can't see Jesus in our own children when they are being "mean," how are we going to see Jesus in our neighbor when he/she is being "mean?" Or in the next driver over when they cut us off? Or in the customer service representative who could care less about our problems? I think that creating a deeper sense of love for Jesus by loving our children, husbands, and neighbors as we would love Jesus would be a great way to start the New Year. How about you?

No comments: