Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Look of Holiness

In lieu of the upcoming New Year, I have more thoughts to share. After I put the kids in bed for their afternoon nap, I sat down with Mother Angelica to learn more. And it just so happens that her nuggets of info can be directly applied to the New Year. Oftentimes when we create New Year's resolutions, we look towards being a better person: losing weight, being kinder, not yelling so much, staying away from negative people.... Well, I thought I would share with you Mother's thoughts on what it looks like to be Holy:

THE LOOK OF HOLINESS

Holiness to most people is looking holy. They think a holy person is one who never loses his temper. Oh please! They think a holy person never feels impatient. Well, there is not an Italian born who is patient, and since there are more Italian saints than any other nationality, there must be something about being impatient that makes you holy.

-Mother Angelica

Doesn't that take the pressure off?? God knows what's in our hearts, and I think as long as we strive for that perfection by learning from our mistakes, then we will be OK. We must put our love for Him above all else and everything else will follow. I have felt it happen in my life, and while I don't feel that I have that COMPLETE trust and COMPLETE love for Him yet, I feel it increase each and every day that I see His works in my life.

He and only He has a plan for us. So we can make our resolutions for the New Year, but know that whatever we have planned may not work out and that's OK because it's not about what we want. God may have other plans for us....

No comments: