Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Monday, December 29, 2008

The Heart and the Mind

As I have embarked on my journey back to Catholicism, I have learned lots of "things." I have learned facts about Jesus and the Holy Family, some "things" about Saints, and some "things" about God. But another "thing" that I learned was that I don't have to know a lot of "things" to know how to love God and live like Jesus.

Brilliance Is Not Required

Every time Jesus taught the multitudes, the apostles would get Him alone afterward and say, "Master, would you explain the parable to us?" Every child in that audience knew exactly what He was talking about, except his apostles.

Now some of you look at Scripture and you don't understand it. Then someone comes along with an insight that makes you feel teeny-tiny. Well don't! You aren't alone. Holiness doesn't consist of knowing much, or doing much, but of loving much.

-Mother Angelica

This passage really hit me too. In the past I felt like I didn't know a lot about Jesus and therefore I didn't know how to pray, go to Church right, or talk to and about God right. It is comforting to hear Mother Angelica talk like this. We don't have to know everything, just love God with all our hearts and follow Him. Yes, there are certain things that we need to know, like how Jesus lived so that we can live like Him, but it is not essential to get a degree in theology to be able to live a faithful life. I think that's what Mother Angelica is saying.

God knows what is in our hearts. If He can see our goodness and our intentions, and the way we live, then we are showing our faith to Him. Now granted, I would LOVE to to know EVERYTHING there is about God and the life of Jesus. That's why I'm going to continue to read my little heart out. But I can't let that get before my love for Him. My love for Him, OUR love for Him drives our faith. Our minds only serve that love.

That's what that means to me. What does this mean to you? Do you feel overwhelmed with so much to learn? Do you feel like, or have you ever felt like, you can't pray because you don't know how? Have you ever felt like you need to "know" in order to love?

1 comment:

wsmiles said...

Good questions!
Until I went to RCIA, I was always of the mind that I didn't know enough about the bible to be a good Catholic.

I get that now I don't have to know everything, or the "right way", though the more I learn the more I like to do things from the traditional Catholic church (hymns, latin, etc.).

It's ok not to a be a know-it-all, it is very freeing. :)