Speaking the Truth

We don’t like to speak the truth about evil because we’re going to hurt somebody. Let me tell you, you are going to hurt somebody, but that Somebody is God. If you would rather hurt God than your neighbor, there is something wrong with your spirituality. It’s your obligation to speak the truth and everyone can either take it or leave it. But truth must be in us. We live in such poverty of the truth today.
- Mother Angelica

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Scattered Persons

I'm on the second P now in Holly Pierlot's book and she hit on something very interesting that I had to share. She talks about how sin scatters our persons. This "scattering" affects the order we have internally. She has this to say about that:

We feel it every time our emotions cringe in fear and disgust in reaction to something we know is a good, such as cleaning the attic! We experience it every time we want to eat too many sweets, or sleep too late, or when we want to engage in sinful activities. Instead of subordinating our drives and desires to choose objective good, our wills, damaged and weakened, follow along behind the passions. We ten to choose something that will make us "feel" good, but that might be, in reality, very harmful to us. Our reasoning power is damaged also, and so even grasping truth becomes more difficult than God intended. This leaves our wills uninformed, weakening our decision-making capacities. Our hearts, no longer in line with God's will, seek a selfish fulfillment, and our emotions become a powerful force that can now work against our better reason.

Wow! That was a mouthful huh?! But it makes so much sense! I mean how many times have you let your own selfish wants and needs take over your life? I have done it so many times I can't even count. But I can also remember when I let God come into my life and I began making more of a conscious effort to let His rules guide my decisions. It's not easy, that's for sure. But life isn't about taking the easy way out. Jesus didn't take the easy way out. He stood amidst the pain and the suffering for us. And I want to thank Him for that every day of my life by living the way He wants me to live.

No comments: